Monday, March 21, 2011

A Genuine Day...

Have you ever picked up a book and started reading it only to find yourself so caught up in it and thinking to yourself 'wow it was really meant for me to find this'?  That happened to me today - well, it has happened to me many times in the past when I've read the Bible, but today it was different; a different book, and a word, and they both lead me back to the Bible.

The word is genuine, why it came to mind I really don't know; it just seemed to etch it's way in there to the point I began to wonder myself what exactly was it that is so important about that word today?  I looked it up in the dictionary and the definition I found most appropriate for my thoughts is:  free from hypocrisy or dishonesty; sincere - at that point I began to laugh to myself.   There have been many times throughout my childhood and adult life that I have heard people make comments about Christians being two-faced or hypocrites.  I remember one of my favorite Pastors speaking about a time when he went for a house visit for someone that was ill and a visiting family member had told him that he didn't like to go to church because he felt Christians are just a bunch of hypocrites.  The Pastor replied with a smile "Well, what better place for them to be then at church?"  He was a wise man.   After my thoughts today and my purposeful encounter with a word etched in my brain I've come to the conclusion that we are ALL genuinely imperfect human beings with a selfish nature.  When someone judges another persons character because they are an 'imperfect christian' what does it say about them?

The book I picked up today is "The Man In The Mirror" (http://www.amazon.com/Man-Mirror-Solving-Problems-Face/dp/031023493X)  I bought it several years ago as a gift for my husband (at that time he was my boyfriend) as I began to read through the pages of underlined text and notes it led me to reference my Bible and started me on a journey... some great words of wisdom... reminders... a purpose.  Just a few verses I was lead to:  Psalm 32:8-9 and Proverbs 3:5-6. 

Come along with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment